Emanuele Filiberto Monument

The statue celebrates the memory of Emmanuel Philibert of Savoy, also known as Testa ‘d Fer (“Iron head” in Piedmontese) (Chambéry, 8 July 1528 – Turin, 30 August 1580), Count of Asti (from 1538), Duke of Savoy, Prince of Piedmont and Count of Aosta, Moriana and Nice from 1553 to 1580. The City of Turin commissioned the equestrian statue of the great leader to Carlo Marochetti. The monument, inaugurated on 4 November 1838 in Piazza San Carlo, is known to the locals as caval ëd bronz (bronze horse), and with time it has become, together with the Mole Antonelliana, one of the symbols of the city.